21 February 2009

Stephanie Y's Reflection #2

My parents, Mike and Debby, and my twin sisters, Jen and Diane, arrived in Cape Town last Friday. Our week together was packed with a variety of activities; it was an entirely new experience for the four of them, as for me, it was my week to rediscover what it means to be a tourist in South Africa.

We started bright and early Saturday morning with a trip to the Aquila Game Reserve to go on a safari. Before entering the reserve we stopped to see the animals they had rescued from a ‘canned hunting’ ground, which is a reserve that raises the animals and allows people to hunt them on the confined camp. The rescued animals we saw up close were: two lions, a male and female, an ostrich, and two cheetahs. Our guide, Colin, was very knowledgeable and clearly proud of their rescue system, and rightfully so. Once we entered the reserve, our group was lucky enough to see four out of the five “Big Five” animals: African elephants, rhinos, lions, and Cape buffalo – no leopard, which wasn’t surprising seeing as it’s the most elusive of the five. In addition to those animals we saw springbok, zebras, crocodiles, and hippos. It was fascinating to get a glimpse of the wildlife in Africa.

The days following the safari we drove along the scenic Garden Route just past Plettenberg, where the fifteen of us will return in March. It was a six hour drive of the beautiful countryside – miles and miles of trees, mountains and blue skies. Our final destination, Face Adrenaline, was one that caused me quite a bit of anxiety over the past month as it is the highest commercial bungee jump in the world. Within fifteen minutes, Diane was suited up and ready to go (it was her sixth time bungee jumping) while Jen and I quickly dismissed the idea of jumping seventy stories off of a bridge to be caught by a bundle of rubber bands. Eventually, however, our nuttier sides prevailed and we were harnessed up. Once we were on the bridge there was no turning back. The first guy jumped and…I screamed…which was very embarrassing. Shortly after that it was actually my turn to scream and as soon as I remembered to breathe a jumble of profanities was flying out of my mouth. Nonetheless, I am proud that I mustered enough courage to jump off of a bridge.
Stephanie's bungee jump

Face Adrenaline was just the beginning of our amazing night. After the jump we drove to the Phantom Forest Eco Reserve in the treetop suites where monkeys and various animals slept in the trees below us. Later that evening we were treated to a delicious six-course dinner and a walk around the reserve. The relaxed environment helped my heart rate (and my parent’s) get back to normal before our next day of activities. After another filling meal at Phantom Forest we started our long trip back to Cape Town but not without a few stops. The highlight of the trip back was Cape Agulhas, the southern most tip of Africa, which was mainly important for bragging rights. Now, I can declare that I have stood in the Indian and Atlantic simultaneously.

As our week came to an end we squeezed in a few more activities including Table Mountain at sunset, a bike and wine tour in Stellenbosch and a trip to Kirstenbosch Gardens. Although my family was only here for a week, we were able to explore different parts of South Africa. It was wonderful to learn new ways to appreciate this beautiful country and share my experiences with my family.
South Africa at sunset