06 February 2009

Reflections of Stephanie


It has nearly been a month since we’ve touched down in South Africa and I still cannot believe we’re here! There have been a number of significant changes in my life since I have arrived. With so many new experiences it is important to take the time to reflect upon them. Now, we have a blog to express those thoughts…perfect, right? In theory yes, but I find myself at a loss for the right words. As most of my roommates have previously explained, there is no way to truly describe how we feel about this beautiful place, but also like my roomies, I will make an attempt. So, here it goes…

Before leaving for Cape Town, a number of people asked me a variety of questions. The most popular question being the most obvious: are you excited? The second question: are you nervous? And finally, the more complicated: are you scared/why did you choose Africa? At the time I answered yes to all of those questions, of course I was exited, nervous, and scared. However, what I am actually excited, nervous and scared about are not at all in accordance with my initial expectations. In this blog, I will answer each of those questions again from a new perspective.

Am I excited?
It has been the unforeseen details that have made me fall in love with this place. Just a few include: being woken up by the cool breeze through our bedroom window in the morning, glancing up at the massive shadows of the mountains as we drive back from town at night, getting on an overcrowded minibus taxi alone and ending up all the way in Bellville (well past my destination), or my favorite, being referred to as “mami” by some of the older women and men in the community. While climbing Table Mountain, bungee-jumping, and cage-diving are clearly exciting activities, they are also expected to be so. Being in South Africa has taught me to pay attention to those little details because those are the quirks that make our experiences unique. To answer the question: Yes, I am excited because we have so much to look forward to for both obvious and hidden reasons.

Am I nervous?
I was nervous about missing home, living with fourteen people and cooking for myself. All of those continue to challenge me (especially the cooking part), but my nerves really kick in when I see the economic and gender disparities play out in our day-to-day lives. During our orientation week we took a trip to Robben Island. As soon as we got off the ferry we were on the waterfront enjoying our lunches in one of the wealthiest areas in Cape Town. For me, that was when the economic contrast between the residential areas on the waterfront compared to those in the Khayelitsha Township became unsettling. It may seem odd that I felt nervous, but when the injustices were staring me directly in the face I wanted to fix it some how and I was nervous that that may never happen. I’m nervous about how unfair and unforgiving the world that we live in can be. I’m nervous that I’m going about these issues the wrong way. Despite my nerves, I am not going to sit back and watch. Instead of trying to save South Africa and solve all the problems in the world I’m going to take Vernon’s advice and make a contribution where I can.

Am I scared? Why Africa?!
Some of my friends were shocked to hear that I chose to study abroad in South Africa. From their perspective, I understand why they would be concerned. In the U.S., the media uses images to depict life in Africa that range from the indigenous National Geographic magazine cover to the front page of a newspaper after a terribly tragic incident. Unfortunately, these ignorant assumptions are made and I have to confess that I was scared to an extent. However, in the same way that people travel to the States and realize that New York and LA are nothing like they’re portrayed in the movies, I quickly adjusted. Africa is by far the most amazing place I’ve travelled to thus far. The people here are unbelievably friendly and ready to help. One of the first days we arrived, an artist was selling his beadwork on the side of the road and even after we declined his figurines and bowls he helped us cross the busy intersection. That is just one of the many reasons why I’m so glad that I chose to come here. A simple interaction such as that makes me realize that life is less about the clothes we wear or the money we make and more about the company we keep and the time spent with them.

I am very happy to be here and I am looking forward to spending time with everyone here! ☺