05 February 2009

Reflections of Rachel


I have not read any of the blog entries that the other students have written -- partly because I keep forgetting, but mostly because I wanted my entry uninfluenced by the insights of others. I was scared that if I did read them, I would be afraid to talk about what the others had done. Then I realized when I started writing this that my view of what I have experienced here is completely different from every other person on this trip. On that note, I am going to write whatever I please, whether or not it is the same as what others have written, so I’m sorry if this is repetitive. ☺

My experiences here have been, simply put, amazing. My mind can barely even comprehend what I have seen, heard, tasted and done. I have noticed that even while my mind is racing beyond my control with all the things I have seen, I am at peace here. I feel that even though I am obviously out of place in many situations, I am very comfortable. I think that any person could feel at home here, simply because of the friendliness of the people and the atmosphere. When I was preparing to leave for the semester I was not nervous about the plane ride, or the living situation, or simply being in another country. I was nervous about whether or not I could be as happy here as I am at home. I can say wholeheartedly that I am extremely happy here and I could not imagine studying abroad in any other program. Honestly, there has not been a single time I can think of when I have been legitimately upset while I have been here. Being here is teaching me to live in the moment, not three weeks ahead of now like I do back in the states. By doing this I am also learning to truly appreciate the possessions I own and the people I know. It is refreshing to truly appreciate the life that I am living here, the lives of those around me and the lives of the ones I love.

I am interning at Christel House South Africa, and I am extremely happy with my placement. I was immensely terrified when I learned I would be working with high school students until the primary school began a week later. Why was I so scared of these kids? All high school students are scary. Period. They are even scarier when you come in not knowing anyone at the school and knowing that these children speak a language you have no experience with whatsoever and could easily take advantage of that fact. My fears were eased when Jill and I arrived on the first day of our internship and every single person who worked at Christel House greeted us with open arms and warm hearts. They wanted to know everything about my life back in the states and if I was having fun in Cape Town. So far so good, I thought, these people like me and I like them, now all I have to do is face the kids. When I walked into one of the classrooms I was pleasantly surprised when I was reminded so much of where I went to school, Windham High School. The kids are very energetic and want to learn while they are there, but also want to talk to their friends and have fun. I could see some of my friends in the kids and I was very happy knowing that I can relate to them on some level, even if it is a trivial one. As the first week went on I felt more comfortable around the high school students and began to like them a lot, especially when they would ask me questions and simply want to talk to me. Even though I really like the high school kids, I have always wanted to work with the young children.
Yesterday, Wednesday the fourth, I got my wish. I will be working with Grade R (which is kindergarten) or Grade 1 from now on. These kids have to be the craziest and cutest group of five year olds I have ever met. I have fallen in love with them after being with them for only a single day. It is hard to deny them when all they want to do is hug you and play with you. It is also quite distracting when right after they did something naughty they immediately hug you and your heart melts. How do you stay mad at that? I am so incredibly proud to be working at an organization that is providing a full and free education for these children. For those who do not know, Christel House gives extremely impoverished children a free education, meals, transportation to and from school, and a chance to change their lives.

Christel House is doing amazing things for these children and giving them opportunities that would otherwise be impossible. It is hard for me to leave these kids at the end of the day and go back to my large house and eat dinner, when many of the kids will go back to a one room shack and go to sleep hungry. I wish I could do more then help at their school three days a week. Then again, it is inspiring knowing that these kids are breaking free from the life they would otherwise be destined to live. Christel House is building a new school and it is going to be extraordinary. The vision is that every classroom will have its own garden so children will learn to grow their own food, every student will have their own instrument, there will be computer labs available to all the students and many more opportunities. I cannot begin to explain the excitement that is buzzing around the old school by both the teachers and the students. It is a very important time for Christel House and for myself. I get to go through this huge transition with these amazing people. I am speechless by how honored and lucky I am to be a part of this unique opportunity.

I do not know what else to say about my experiences so far here in Cape Town. I cannot be happier here and I love everyone I have met. I have not forgotten about those people I love at home, that would be impossible. This trip could not have been possible if it wasn’t for my family and friends that supported and urged me to go through with it. I could not thank them enough for their encouragement and love.




 If anyone would like to read a little more about Christel House, the following link contains a short article about: http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/education/christel_house_a_gem_in_sa_education_.html