20 February 2009

Rachel's Reflection #2


What does ubuntu mean to you? You may have heard of it in passing while talking to one of my peers, or maybe read about it while researching South Africa. I first heard of ubuntu from Marita during one of our first pre-departure classes. When she explained it I found it interesting and realized I agreed wholeheartedly with the concepts that make it. After being here in this amazing country for a significant period of time, the concept and the practice of it have made me realize the magnitude of ubuntu -- the belief that ubuntu is a way of life, in fact, the only way to live. Okay, so what exactly is ubuntu?

Well, Jeremicia Seherie, an amazing woman, talked in our class yesterday the 19th of February about what ubuntu is. She explained that ubuntu is the belief that I am because you are. You are because she is. She is because he is. He is because I am. Everyone shares humanity, we are all connected and therefore everyone belongs, there are no outsiders. I have seen this concept put into action so many times while I’ve been here. It is amazing to see people unquestionably accepting you simply because you are there.

The most significant experience I can recall of ubuntu was when we went to the Sivuyile National Baptist Church in Gugulethu. We went during our first week orientation when we arrived. All of us who went probably felt out of place because we had never been to a church service quite like that one and because we were the only white people present, and could not understand the language. However, the people at the church accepted us simply because we were there and willing to participate. They were so excited we were there and it was an amazing experience I would never replace. One man I sat next to throughout the service, whom to which I did not speak to the whole time, shook my hand at the end and said “it was a pleasure to meet you, thank you for coming and please come again!” This made me extremely happy and gave me a feeling of belonging to the community even though I was just a visitor. It is impossible to actually explain how I felt that day, but I think it was that specific instance when I knew that South Africa is one of the most incredible places on earth, and that ubuntu is an important part of the culture and my life.

This concept is one that I have believed in for a very long time without a word or a way to explain it. I plan to live with the concept of ubuntu for the rest of my life, and will try to spread the word to others that I meet.