08 February 2009

Reflections of Hannah


The task of writing to others in order to allow them to feel or experience what you, yourself have felt is daunting. No words, pictures or even films can begin to describe the beauty I have seen, the experiences I have had, people I have met or lessons I have learned in the month I have been here. South Africa is a place that must be witnessed and discovered first hand. However, I will try my best to describe some of my observations and lessons I have learnt through just being here and also through my internship at Sonke Gender Justice Network

Before coming to this incredible country, I was informed of something called “South African time”. Like most things I heard about prior to my arrival, I could not grasp the true meaning of this concept until coming here. This concept was explained to me as a slower pace in which people live by in South Africa. I understood this to mean that people were often late and spent less time doing work, however, I was greatly mistaken.

I have come to discover that South African time is a way of living in the moment and being aware of what you are doing and feeling, while understanding your place and meaning in relation to where you are (by taking the time to do so).

Being here and experiencing this time makes me realize that, in the US, things seem so rushed. The pervasiveness of technology creates an environment where people are never truly engaged in any place they are. There are always other things to plan, other people to contact, etc. It is somewhat rare for people to take time to evaluate their feelings and place or purpose in the world, or just to appreciate the positive things in life and what they are doing in the moment. I believe that not doing so contributes to a sense of sadness and emptiness.

From my point of view, South Africans, in general, seem happier. The phrase “money doesn’t buy happiness” is often said, but is rarely truly believed. For me, being here is proof that this statement is true. The hardships that exist here are quite extensive. I have seen poverty here to an extent that I never could have imagined. The prominent issues and harsh realities faced of gender-based violence, HIV and AIDS, etc. are extremely prevalent. Simultaneously, there is a sense of community and faith existing here, even in the poorest areas. Many of the South Africans I have met and heard about have had an overwhelming social awareness and good sense of their place in society- something I do not recognize from home. Vast amounts of people have very little for themselves and have lost so much, but are still willing to work for the rights and health of others: a sight, which is truly inspiring.

I must make it clear, however, that I do not intend to romanticize poverty and say that people are all happy here no matter the circumstances. To think that would be ignorant and inaccurate. In essence, I have observed that, by and large, South Africans are able to appreciate the things they are blessed with and they often utilize their abilities in a way that is positive and constructive. In addition to this, many have strong and genuine faith in, as well as a strong dedication to, social transformation.

The NGOs here that I have visited and heard about are really impressive. I have only interned at Sonke Gender Justice Network for two weeks, nevertheless I have found my experiences there extremely rewarding thus far. Everyone in the office has been so welcoming and has taken a significant amount of time and effort to incorporate Steph and I into their daily routine.

On our first day of work, we were introduced to, and included in, the weekly meeting at Sonke. The weekly meeting serves as a notable example of South African time and the way in which it works. Although there is a methodical way of conducting the meeting, there is ample time given to address each staff member’s experiences, problems and challenges (personally and in their specific projects of work). Also, at the end of each meeting there is an evaluation list made of the positives and deltas (changes to be made) that people feel about the meeting that has just occurred. I really enjoyed this meeting and the style in which it was held. The meeting style takes a while to conduct, yet accomplishes a great amount. The meetings strengthen the connection and productivity of the staff members by allowing them to intertwine their personal and work lives, and offer advice to one another.

On our first day of work, we were also trusted with the task of writing a press statement on the recent appalling and sexist comments made by ANCYL leader, Julius Malema (concerning the Zuma rape case).  To trust new interns with such a task was encouraging and was a challenge that we were excited to undertake. It turns out that once the statement went through some serious editing and was finally released, the case against Malema was taken to the Equality Court. The press statement and case ended up making national news.  Steph and I were extremely excited to hear about this and realize that we could really take part in raising awareness.

Before coming here, I strived to live in the moment and be happy in what I was doing. I was looking for a sense of purpose and something that I could feel strongly about. I have found all of these things in Cape Town and I am truly excited for and look forward to the experiences to come!

Hannah & Emily G.