04 February 2009

Reflections of Cassidy

When I first signed up to go to South Africa I was very hesitant for many reasons. First, I had never been that far away from my family for such an extensive period of time. Secondly, I was used to having my own room and being the only child in the house. So living with fourteen other people was going to be a very new and strange experience. However, I was determined to be strong and allow myself to have a great experience. The night we arrived I was feeling great about being in such a beautiful country and was eager to learn. Then the next night arrived and I was not feeling as cheerful. I could feel the homesickness hitting me from nowhere. All at once it came over me and I was not looking forward to the weeks ahead. Luckily I found that with each new night, and getting to know everyone better, I was slowly climbing out of the slumps and was feeling very optimistic.

The entire orientation week was absolutely amazing. I learned things that I would have never learned back in the States and this was a sad thought for me. I was beginning to realize just how much our schools were not teaching us. Our education system focuses on teaching us our own history, which granted is important, but I feel that it is equally important to know the history of the world that surrounds us. It continues to amaze me when a Capetownian will engage me in a conversation about U.S. politics. They know so much about what is currently happening in our country and I still do not have a true grasp on the politics here. It makes me realize how much more there is to learn and that I have the capabilities of educating myself on these issues.

Once I started my internship at Black Sash, a non-profit organization for human rights, I began to have a truly amazing time. Now I was feeling like I was going to make a difference and change the world. It was so fascinating to see the things that these companies accomplish and to know that you are now a part of that. During the first week they already had us writing briefs and researching for the upcoming State of the Nation Address. Never before had I been entrusted with so much responsibility, so quickly. I felt like an equal rather than a student who was there to do the tedious work. I also enjoy getting to work every morning. I have to take a mini-bus taxi into town and they are the best way to travel, with lively music and a no-nonsense driver. Working in the city also has its perks. I am able to explore the heart of the city and a short five minute walk from work takes me to the best bakery ever, Charly’s. It may seem as if I am exaggerating, but I promise you I am not. It is so good that my fellow intern and I have decided to designate every Tuesday “Charly’s Tuesdays”. Hopefully this will not cause a severe increase in our weight. But even if it did, I do not think it would matter. I am living in the moment, in Cape Town, in complete bliss.