15 April 2009

Steph O reflects on coming together

It has taken me a long time to decide what I should write my last blog about. I wanted it to be memorable, yet nothing came to mind. I thought I would write about saying good-bye to Cape Town, but then I realized I was not ready to say good-bye. I thought maybe I would write about what I have learned from my experience, but I realized it was quite complex to sum up in a blog. In fact, I have come to realize that I do not even understand the extent of my transformation thus far. I believe down the road, the choices I will make in life will in fact reflect my transformation, and only then will I understand how this experience has changed me. But as for now, I will have to admit that these last few days are rather overwhelming. However in the midst of the sorrow, there is one thing that has made me happy: 10 Loch Rd.

I must admit that there were plenty of times when I did not believe our R.A. Ben when he told us that in the past, students have always come together in the end. I never could have imagined the number of challenges faced by a group of students living together under one roof. Although we’ve had many ups and downs, miscommunications and frustrations, I think that we’ve all learned a great deal from the experience of living in a house with 15 strangers. With that said, I really would like to say that I was extremely impressed with the hard work that very single individual put into making this final braai turn out as smoothly and successful as possible.

 Although we all have our differences and group dynamics can be quite hectic, (especially when making decisions) everyone did make a great effort to put our differences aside to collaborate for our event.  The side dishes, desserts, and of course the meats were all exceptionally appetizing.  Truthfully, it put a smile on my face to see everyone make such a great effort the day of the event. While some cleaned up around the house, others cooked and prepared the food. Others decorated the house with balloons and hung up the welcome sign in the foyer. Finally, I wanted to thank Steph Y and Jordan for taking the responsibility of overseeing the entire execution of the event. I am aware that taking on such an enormous task can be very stressful.

And with that said I would like to conclude this brief blog by saying that my unique study abroad experience would not have been the same without the students of 10 Loch Rd.  Through a roller coaster of emotions we have been there for each other, created everlasting memories, and watched each other transform. I guess just thanks for all the memories (good and bad : ) )=