30 January 2009

Reflections of Steph O

Obama’s inauguration marked a day in history that we will never forget. After watching the inauguration with many American’s and non-Americans at the Library, a few of us decided to head to Long Street for a night of Celebration. When we arrived to Long Street, I was taken back with the amount of people who were also celebrating this historical day. It seemed as though the entire world was waiting for this “change.” As I heard older generations express their excitement for Obama, I began to understand that yes, change is possible. It baffled my mind to imagine what it must have felt like to finally witness a day that some have been waiting for since the 1960’s.  

I envisioned the civil rights movement and the struggle that many Americans fought in the 960’s and 1970’s, and I began to make many connections to the struggle that was waged here in South Africa, at the end of Apartheid just 15 years ago. Hearing first hand stories about the apartheid struggle inspired me in a way that no history book could ever do. The possibility of transformation that prevailed so sincerely in their minds – both then and now – ignited my own optimism and hope.

At one of the restaurants, The Neighborhood, where we had dinner that night, I met a couple of UCT medical students. The topic of conversation quickly progressed to the excitement revolving around Obama, as soon as they learned that we were American. I was surprised at their curiosity towards my thoughts and feelings regarding the affair. I felt as though, for the first time in my life, someone wanted to hear what I had to say politically, instead of simply debate me on the issue. I truly felt comfortable expressing my sincere happiness for the historical day, but I also did not feel restrained against criticizing the U.S. government on certain issues, either. As I explicated my reasoning for losing all hope in government, I looked at one of the students and her facial expression told me she understood. What she said to me next, I will never forget because I believe it to be true. “You can’t rely on government to do good things, everyday people like you and me change the course of history.”

It was right then and there that the phrase, “Yes we can!” went from being just a campaign slogan to a tangible and uplifting mantra. I began to realize that similar to Biko, Mandela, Malcom X, Che, MLK and many other iconic activists, Obama’s words, too, have ignited people to rise up. In many different ways we are all starting to realize how fortunate we truly are to have the opportunity to immerse ourselves in a culture that has proven that political turmoil can be revolutionized to progressive social change. Everyday at our internships, we personally experience the realities of living out Obama’s philosophy, “yes we can,” and I become more and more hopeful for our own future. If there is one place that could plant the seed of hope in the heart of a political pessimist, it is here amidst this burgeoning post-Apartheid democracy in South Africa.